So, you’ve established a successful business in the UK. Your website is optimised so your product and content can reach the right consumers. Now, as the next natural step, you’re thinking of growing your business internationally! One crucial aspect of this is ensuring you communicate effectively online with this new international audience. This is where multilingual SEO comes in.
In this piece, we will break down exactly what multilingual SEO is. Why you need to be using it, and the benefits it will bring to you when done well.
What is multilingual SEO?
In very basic terms, this is ensuring that, for example, a potential customer visiting your site from Switzerland, is presented with content suited to their needs.
This isn’t as simple as google auto translating the page. Different words can have a distinct meaning and context. The site needs to be carefully tailored to their needs and expectations. This process is known as localisation in the language services industry. To complicate matters, Switzerland has a French, Italian and a German speaking region!
The statistics speak for themselves
Before we continue, a bit of context is useful. A study from the Common Sense Advisory surveyed 2,430 web consumers in eight countries to learn about how language affected their purchasing behaviors, with some fascinating results.
72.1% of consumers spend most or all of their time on websites in their own language. Whilst 72.4% of consumers said they would be more likely to buy a product with information in their own language.
The most surprising outcome of the survey, was that 56.2% of consumers said that the ability to obtain information in their own language is more important to them than price.
The key takeaway? More than half of consumers are willing to pay more if you are willing to give them information in their own languages! Reflecting on your own business/website. Is your content geared towards this?
What are the benefits of multilingual SEO?
Let’s examine the benefits of implementing multilingual SEO to your business.
- Expand your potential audience – As the internet has expanded, it has made engaging with people on the other side of the world far easier. Right now you could be missing out on hugely lucrative markets for your product.
- Improve your chances of ranking for a specific region – You’ve identified that your product is hugely applicable a specific region of Norway. With multilingual SEO you can improve your ability to connect with this customer base.
- A marginal gain to beat the competition – This could be one simple, actionable way today to get ahead of your competition in your area! If they aren’t doing it and you are, you’ve took a vital step ahead in international growth.
- Local feel for an international company – Multilingual SEO can give your customers a local feel, whilst retaining the benefits of an international company.
- Improve the customer experience – Content and general business manner are hugely different, for example between Germany and China, and your site should reflect this.
Is the next step for your business is to grow internationally? Target the right international audience and maximise your brand growth? Then it’s time to put in place a strategy for your multilingual SEO. DA Languages provide quality translation and localisation services and can help your company to go global! We offer a partnership approach. This means we can get a clear idea of where you currently are and where you want to go.
Written by Andrew Tattersall
Images produced via Snappa.com.